- Home »
- Cookies+More »
- Girl Scout Cookie Program »
- This Year’s Cookies »
- Why is palm oil used in Girl Scout Cookies?
Why is palm oil used in Girl Scout Cookies?
Palm oil is an ingredient found in the majority of baked snacks sold in the United States. GSUSA's licensed bakers tell us it continues to be necessary to use palm oil in our cookies to ensure shelf life, to offer customers the highest quality, and to serve as an alternative to trans fats. One of the primary goals of our Girl Scout cookie bakers is to create the best-tasting cookies possible using the healthiest ingredients available.
The world's food supply is intricately tied to the use of palm oil, so we believe promoting sustainable manufacturing principles is the most responsible approach for Girl Scouts and Girl Scout Cookies. Girl Scouts has an opportunity to use our strong voice to bring about positive change on this very important issue, and GSUSA and our bakers have made the following commitments:
- GSUSA and our licensed bakers are members of—and our bakers source palm oil exclusively from—members of the Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO), an organization of growers, buyers, manufacturers, conservationists, and interested parties who are striving to develop and follow best practices to ensure sustainability.
- GSUSA and our licensed bakers have made a substantial investment in GreenPalm certificates. The certificates purchased by our bakers cover 100 percent of the palm oil used in Girl Scout Cookies. The certificates offer a premium price to palm-oil producers who are operating within the guidelines for social, environmental, and economic responsibility set by the Roundtable for Sustainable Palm Oil.
- GSUSA and our licensed bakers joined other industry leaders in making a pledge to move to a segregated, certified sustainable palm oil source by 2015, based on market availability.
- GSUSA and our licensed bakers are committed to using as little palm oil as possible in Girl Scout Cookies and have committed to continued research into viable alternatives. Please visit littlebrownie.com to read more on the baker's published statements and positions on palm oil.
American palm oil use represents approximately 2 percent of total global consumption, and palm oil used in Girl Scout Cookies represents a tiny fraction of that. Thanks to the encouragement of and partnership with Girl Scout members, we and our bakers have realized the power of the Girl Scout brand to make a positive difference in the move toward sustainably produced palm oil.
What is that GreenPalm logo on the side of the Girl Scout cookie package?
The GreenPalm logo on the Girl Scout cookie package signifies a commitment by Girl Scouts and our licensed bakers to developing a worldwide supply of sustainable palm oil. Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to assure a fully sustainable supply in the quantities required by our bakers. The GreenPalm investment supports farmers' initiatives to become sustainable. The presence of the GreenPalm logo on the cookie package provides assurance to consumers and our members that our bakers have purchased enough GreenPalm certificates to offset 100 percent of the palm oil used in Girl Scout Cookies. Visit greenpalm.org to learn more about GreenPalm certificates.