For the safety of our girls, all individuals volunteering with Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania are required to complete several background checks, including Pennsylvania clearances under Act 153.
Some things to note:
- As of July 1, 2016, any volunteers who have not submitted all
volunteer background screening requirements per council policy and
PA Act 153 are no longer approved to volunteer with Girl Scouts
Western Pennsylvania. Find
- If you received the required clearances for another organization within the last 60 months, they are valid and we can accept a copy of your results along with your online affidavit. Just send them to the address or email indicated below.
Once you complete your Volunteer
Application, the following clearances/checks must be
1. Complete your National Criminal Background Check by logging on to our secure volunteer portal: (Free)
- Your code is the word "portal."
- All red fields are required. If you have any additional addresses, please click "add address." Click 'Next' to review the Terms & Conditions for running your background check.
- Sign the application and click 'Done,' then click 'Submit.' You must actually sign (on a home computer hold down the left button on the mouse and draw your signature), and complete the questions. It will ask for the same information again. The first time is stating that all information is correct, and the second is for permission to perform the background check. Click submit and you will receive a message stating the form is completed.
2. Complete your Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Free)
3. Complete your Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (Free)
4. Complete and sign the PA State Clearance Affidavit (Free)
5. If you've lived outside PA anytime in the past 10 years, you'll also need to complete an FBI Criminal Background Check. Pre-enroll for your appointment online using service code: 1KG6Y3. After you hit Go, select Schedule or Manage Appointment from the list of options. Complete the online form to schedule your appointment. Payment of $21.35 is due at the site of your appointment. Price may vary if using Department of Human Services. You do not need to complete this step if you've only lived in Pennsylvania in the past 10 years.
6. Send copies of completed PA Child Abuse History and Pennsylvania
Criminal Record Check (as well as FBI Criminal Background Check if
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania, Attn: Volunteer Screening, 5681 Route 6N, Edinboro PA 16412
- Fax: 814-734-7701 Attn: Volunteer Screening
Please contact email@example.com or call 1-800-248-3355 with any questions.