Outdoor Skills Training
Check the events calendar for upcoming Outdoor Skills Training sessions!
Troop leaders or another troop adult must attend the appropriate Outdoor Skills Training if the troop will participate in overnight and camping activities.
This hands-on outdoor training experience will focus on the 8 Basic Camping skills, girl involvement in the outdoors, GSWPA information related to outdoor experiences, and much more. By successfully completing this training, participants will have full use of all GSWPA properties and equipment. Use of amenities such as archery, canoes, ropes courses, rifles, etc. may require additional training or a certified adult present.
Outdoor Skills Participant Guide
Participants who attend will receive a copy of this manual for future reference and use when working in the outdoors with their girls.
Outdoor Skills Resource Guide
Provides additional activities, resources, recipes, and much more to use when planning and working with your girls in the outdoors. (This guide is not provided at training.)
Individuals who have completed Outdoor 101 and Basic Camp Training will be grandfathered through and will not be required to complete any additional training.
These will be offered during spring and fall with limited offerings based on need. Individuals will be able to test out of the Outdoor Skills Training if they meet one of the following requirements:
- Have completed a Outdoor Skills Training in the last 5 years with another organization
- Are currently a camp counselor or acted as a camp counselor within the last 5 years.
- Have regular outdoor experience - 2 to 3 camping experiences annually
Those requesting to participate in the test out must:
- Provide proof of eligibility
- Complete a test out document, which review GSWPA outdoor experience information.
- Attend and complete an onsite skills check (to be scheduled based on need in the spring and fall).
For more information, please contact Amy Snyder at 800-248-3355 x1116.