Girl Scouts and Faith
Everything in Girl Scouting is based on the Girl Scout Promise and Law. The Girl Scout Law includes many of the principles and values common to most faiths. Thus, while a secular organization, Girl Scouts has, since the movement began, encouraged girls to take spiritual journeys via their faiths' religious recognitions.
For more information, please download and consult Girl Scouting and the Church Q&A.
Girls of all grade levels can now earn the My Promise, My Faith pin developed by Girl Scouts of the USA. This pin, which girls can earn once a year, complements existing religious recognitions and allows all girls to further strengthen the connection between their faith and Girl Scouts (see images of the pins below). A girl earns the My Promise, My Faith pin by carefully examining the Girl Scout Law and directly tying it to tenets of her faith. Requirements for this pin are included in The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting for all grade levels.
The My Promise, My Faith pin invites girls in grades K-12 to experience faith journeys through exploration of the Girls Scout Law and teachings from their faiths.
Girls can earn this national pin each year.
Steps to earn the pin:
- Choose one line from the Girl Scout Law. Find a story, song, or poem from your faith with the same ideas. Talk with your family or friends about what that line of the Law and the story, song, or poem have in common.
- Find a woman in your own or another faith community. Ask her how she tries to use that line of the Law in her life.
- Gather three inspirational quotes by women that fit with that line of the Girl Scout Law. Put them where you can see them every day!
- Make something to remind you of what you’ve learned. It might be a drawing, painting, or poster. You could also make up a story or a skit.
- Keep the connection strong. Talk with your friends, family, or a group in your faith community about what you’ve learned about your faith and Girl Scouting. Ask them to help you live the Law and your faith. Maybe you can show them what you just made or perform your skit!
Adult volunteers from faith organizations partner with girls by:
- Linking the national award into their faith’s religious recognitions.
- Guiding girls through their personal faith journeys.
- Helping girls strengthen their understanding of their faiths.
Select a grade level below to preview the corresponding My Promise, My Faith requirements.
- Daisy Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (1.5 MB)
- Brownie Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (3.09 MB)
- Junior Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (1.23 MB)
- Cadette Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (3.18 MB)
- Senior Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (4.12 MB)
- Ambassador Requirements -- My Promise, My Faith (1.14 MB)
Girl Scouts of the USA partners with P.R.A.Y. (Programs of Religious Activities with Youth) as a resource for Faith based programs. Visit the P.R.A.Y. Web site to learn more or download the P.R.A.Y. Brochure for more information on religious awards.