Girl Scouts presents Awards of Distinction
Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania (GSWPA) will present 11 Awards of Distinction at a luncheon on Friday, May 16, 2014, at the Omni William Penn, 530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh. Reception begins at 11:30 a.m. with luncheon and program to follow at noon.
The Awards of Distinction celebrates eight outstanding women role models and community leaders, two impressive high school students and a corporation that has been a long standing community partner of GSWPA.
Dr. Ellen Roth, Honorary Chair of the event, joined Lisa Shade, public relations manager at GSWPA, to discuss the Awards of Distinction with Comcast Newsmakers' host, Tonia Caruso.
The 2014 honorees in each category are:
- Arts & Education: Marilyn Michalka Egan, PhD, Pittsburgh Opera
- Athletics: Swin Cash, Pittsburgh Native, WNBA Player – Chicago Sky
- Business: Susan Baker Shipley, Huntington Bank
- Community & Non-Profit: Patricia Siger, United Way of Allegheny County
- Entrepreneur & Small Business: Lani Lazzari, Simple Sugars
- Government & Law: Patricia Dodge, Meyer, Unkovic & Scott LLP
- Health Care: Candi Castleberry-Singleton, UPMC Center for Inclusion
- Technology & Communication: Patricia Rote, Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University
2014 Girl Scout of Distinction:
Laura Sosovika, Sophomore, North Allegheny High School
2014 Girl Scout Humanitarian Award
Veronica Brueggman, Senior, South Park High School
2014 Corporation of Distinction:
Dr. Ellen Roth, president, Getting to the Point Inc., serves as the Honorary Chair.
Honorary Committee Members
- Ritchie Battle
- Tracy Certo, NEXTpittsburgh
- Linda Dickerson, 501( c )(3)2
- Ann Dugan, University of Pittsburgh
- Karen Wolk Feinstein, PhD, Jewish Healthcare Foundation
- Hilda Pang Fu, Luminari, Inc.
- Sylvia V. Hill-Fields, Eden Hall Foundation
- Elsie Hillman, Elsie H. Hillman Foundation
- Diane P. Holder, UPMC Health Plan
- Margaret P. Joy, McCarthy McDonald Schulberg & Joy
- Anne Lewis, Board Chair, Oxford Development Company
- Catherine Loevner, Catherine and Mark H. Loevner Family Foundation
- Aradhna M. Oliphant, Leadership Pittsburgh Inc.
- Peggy Morrison Outon, Bayer Center for Nonprofit Management
- Valerie McDonald Roberts, Chief Urban Affairs Officer, Mayor's Office
- Jeannette E. South-Paul, MD, UPMC
Event Committee Members
- Dr. Barbara Barnes, UPMC
- Maris Bondi, UPMC Health Plan
- Carla Barricella, Jewish Healthcare Foundation
- Christina Brussalis, The Hill Group
- Phyllis Comer, PA Department of Education Commissioner
- Sylvia Diez, PNC Bank
- Jessica Galardini, JRG Advisors
- Nicole King, EQT
- Jennifer Susco, UBS
Sally Wiggin, host of WTAE Chronicle, will serve as emcee. The event is presented by the Eden Hall Foundation.
Tickets are available at gswpa.org\aod for $75 each or $650 for a table of ten.