For the safety of our girls, all individuals volunteering with Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania are required to complete several background checks, including Pennsylvania clearances under Act 153.
Some things to note:
- As of July 1, 2016, any volunteers who have not submitted all volunteer background screening requirements per council policy and PA Act 153 are no longer approved to volunteer with Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania. Find out more.
- If you received the required clearances for another organization within the last 60 months, they are valid and we can accept a copy of your results along with your online affidavit. Just send them to the address or email indicated below.
Once you complete your Volunteer Application, the following clearances/checks must be completed:
1. Complete your National Criminal Background Check by logging on to our secure volunteer portal: (Free)
- Your code is the word "portal."
- All red fields are required. If you have any additional addresses, please click "add address." Click 'Next' to review the Terms & Conditions for running your background check.
- Sign the application by typing your name and click 'Done,' click 'Submit' then complete the questions. It will ask for the same information a second time. The first time is stating that all information is correct, and the second is for permission to perform the background check. Click “Submit” and you will receive a message stating the form is completed. Results will be sent directly to GSWPA.
2. Complete your Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Free)
3. Complete your Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (Free)
4. Complete and sign the PA State Clearance Affidavit (Free)
5. Please read the below instructions and if you are unsure or have any questions, please contact us directly at 800-248-3355 or e-mail GSWPA and we will be happy to assist you!
If you've lived outside PA anytime in the past 10 years, you'll also need to complete an FBI Criminal Background Check. You do not need to complete this step if you've only lived in Pennsylvania for the past 10 years.
Read both options prior to selecting one to complete.
Important – Please Read: If you go through the Department of Education (option 2), you must download and save results to your computer for a copy the first time you click on the link. You will NOT receive a copy in the mail and the link is only valid this one time.
Option 1: I will only be using the FBI check for volunteering with Girl Scouts. (School districts will not accept FBI checks from the Department of Human Services)
- Pre-enroll for your appointment online using service code: 1KG6ZJ for the Department of Human Services and select “GO”.
- Next, select “Schedule or Manage Appointment” to complete the registration steps.
- Payment of $22.60 (reduced rate for volunteers only) is due at the site of your appointment. A copy of your results will be mailed to you.
Option 2: I would like to use the FBI check for volunteering with Girl Scouts and within a school district.
- Pre-enroll for your appointment online using service code: 1KG6Y3 for the PA Department of Education and select “GO”.
- Next, select “Schedule or Manage Appointment to complete the registration steps.
- Payment of $22.60 (reduced rate for volunteers only) is due at the site of your appointment. Results will not be mailed to you.
Per PA Department of Education policy for receiving a copy of your results: You must click the link in the results email and download and save your results to your computer. You only have ONE chance to click the link and download and save your results.
Note: Girl Scouts will accept the “unofficial copy” of your results.
6. Send copies of completed PA Child Abuse History and Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (as well as FBI Criminal Background Check if applicable) to:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania, Attn: Volunteer Screening, 5681 Route 6N, Edinboro PA 16412
- Fax: 814-734-7701 Attn: Volunteer Screening
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-248-3355 with any questions.