PITTSBURGH—February 22–24, Girl Scouts throughout western Pennsylvania and nationwide will participate in National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend 2019, celebrating the impactful entrepreneurial program that has sparked the success of millions of women. The Girl Scout Cookie Program®, the largest annual investment in girls in the United States, powers amazing experiences for girls as they learn invaluable entrepreneurial skills and make the world a better place.
At a time of year when many Girl Scouts across the United States are selling Girl Scout Cookies®, National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend, which is an annual event, encourages consumers to support the female leaders and change-makers of today and tomorrow. While just 17 percent of startups are founded by women, the cookie program equips girls with the skills and attributes they need, such as persistence, confidence, and healthy risk-taking, to become business founders and leaders in the future.
All of the proceeds fund troop projects and experiences, as well as important programming for girls in western Pennsylvania, such as outdoor adventures and science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). And many Girl Scouts invest their earnings back into their communities, which means that consumers are not just purchasing delicious cookies—they’re also supporting communities and a bright future for girls. Girl Scouts in western Pennsylvania have served countless hours within their community through park beautification, providing much needed goods and services to the youth and elderly, collecting donations for animal shelters and wildlife refuges, and much more.
“The weekend is an exciting celebration for Girl Scouts, because it’s their opportunity to expand their reach into the community and drive towards their goals,” says Patricia A. Burkart, CEO of Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania (GSWPA). “This is when we see girls go beyond their comfort zone by approaching potential customers, looking them in the eye, and asking for their support. It’s these interactions with community members that build girls’ courage, confidence, and people skills that she’ll use in the classroom or on the debate team or, someday, during a job interview.”
While Girl Scout troops across the western Pennsylvania region will be operating cookie booths in grocery stores, malls, and more, on Friday, February 22, GSWPA is celebrating with local Girl Scouts at the following cookie booths from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. unless otherwise noted below.
- Downtown Pittsburgh
- Four Gateway Center, Lobby, 444 Liberty Ave.
- Two Gateway Center, Gateway Café, 603 Stanwix St.
- Fifth Avenue Place, Lobby, 201 Fifth Ave.
- Point Park University, Lawrence Hall, 201 Wood St.
- U.S Steel Building, Concourse, 600 Grant St.
- University of Pittsburgh, Towers Lobby, 3990 Fifth Ave.
- Duquesne University, Student Union, 600 Forbes Ave.
- Nova Place, Plaza, Level, 100 S Commons
- Carnegie Mellon University, Cohon University Center, 5000 Forbes Ave.
- Washington: Washington and Jefferson College, Student Center, 60 S Lincoln St.
- University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 150 Finoli Dr.
- Corner of Main St. at Otterman St., by Westmoreland County Courthouse
- Johnstown: University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown, Student Union, 450 Schoolhouse Rd.
- Indiana: Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Hadley Union Building, 1011 South Dr.
- Edinboro: Edinboro University, Frank G. Pogue Student Center (noon-3 p.m.)
- Erie: Gannon
University, Waldron Campus Center, 109 University Square
Girl Scout Cookie Bus will be travelling through Erie from 9:30
a.m. to 1 p.m.
- 9:30-10:15 a.m.: City of Erie Municipal Building, State Street/South Park Row
- 10:30-11a.m.: WSEE/WICU (State Street just north of West 38th Street)
- 11:15-11:45 a.m.: Mercyhurst University, between Trinity Green & Baldwin Hall
- 11:55 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: JMC Ice Arena/Erie Zoo parking lot
- 12:30-1 p.m.: Millcreek Mall, Food Court entrance
- The Girl Scout Cookie Bus will be travelling through Erie from 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Throughout the duration of the 2019 Girl Scout Cookie season, which will end on Sunday, March 17, eager customers will be able to get their hands on their favorite Girl Scout treats. In 2019, GSWPA is offering the following cookie varieties: Girl Scout S'mores®, Thin Mints®, Tagalongs®, Samoas®, Trefoils®, Do-si-Dos®, Savannah Smiles®, and Toffee-Tastic®, which is a gluten-free cookie. GSWPA events for National Girl Scout Cookie Weekend are sponsored in part by Evoqua Water Technologies.
Girl Scout Cookies can only be purchased from a registered Girl Scout. To find Girl Scouts selling cookies near you, visit www.girlscoutcookies.org or use the official Girl Scout Cookie Finder app, free on iOS and Android devices.