Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania (GSWPA) will honor eight Pittsburgh women for their accomplishments and leadership on Friday, May 3, 2019 at the annual Awards of Distinction luncheon at the Omni William Penn, 530 William Penn Place, Pittsburgh at 11:30 a.m.
This annual event honors these inspirational women and celebrates the mission of the Girl Scout Movement, which is to build girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place.
Dr. JoAnn Deak is the keynote speaker for the event. Her research and books focus on girls’ psychological development and how an all-girl environment, like that found in Girl Scouts, is where girls learn and grow best.
The 2019 Women of Distinction in each category are:
- Business & Finance: Sally McCrady, Director, Community Affairs & Corporate Social Responsibility, PNC Bank; Chairwoman & President, The PNC Foundation
- Communications & Multimedia: Deborah L. Acklin, President & CEO, WQED Multimedia
- Entrepreneurship: Ling Wollenschlaeger, Founder & Head Chef, Pittsburgh Fresh LLC
- Health Care: BJ Leber, President & CEO, Adagio Health
- Law: Tracey McCants Lewis, Deputy General Counsel & Director of HR, Pittsburgh Penguins
- Nonprofit & Education: Patricia E. Beeson, Professor of Economics & Provost Emeritus, University of Pittsburgh
- Public Service: Jennifer Liptak, Chief of Staff, Allegheny County
- STEM: Crystal Rugege, Director of Strategy, Carnegie Mellon University Africa
GSWPA presents the 2019 Corporation of Distinction award to BNY Mellon. As a national leader in cybersecurity, BNY Mellon recognized a unique opportunity to work with GSWPA by matching employees’ expertise with the newly launched Girl Scouts CyberSecurity badge series. BNY Mellon developed three hands-on workshops that would enable Girl Scouts to earn the new badge.
Two Girl Scouts will also receive awards at the event. The Girl Scout of Distinction Award will be presented to Angela Genter, a senior at North Allegheny High School. Nadine Oury, a senior at Winchester Thurston School, will receive the Girl Scout Humanitarian Award.
Serving as the 2019 Honorary Co-Chairs on the event’s committee are Karen Larrimer, head of retail banking and chief customer officer at PNC Financial Services Company, and Sylvia Fields executive director at the Eden Hall Foundation.