Project Accessory Challenge 2019
Tue Oct 01, 12:00 AM - Fri Dec 06, 11:59 PM EST
Daisy, Brownie, Junior, Cadette, Senior, Ambassador
|2nd Annual Project Accessory Fun Challenge|
“Makers Gonna Make�?!
What’s Project Accessory all about? Project accessory is a GSWPA challenge designed to encourage and inspire girls to be creative, resourceful, and have fun! Do you have what it takes to be an accessory designer? Do you love to make, create, and design? This is the opportunity for YOU! Girl scouts from Daisy to Ambassador will have several opportunities to create something unique and express their various talents.
Throughout this fun competition, girls will get to design and make their very own accessory. What type of accessory? That’s up to YOU! Necklace, earrings, bracelet, or any other type of accessory you love. Girls will have the opportunity to earn the main GSWPA Project Accessory patch as well as one of the design challenge patches of your choosing.
How the Challenge Works:
1. The Project accessory Challenge Begins October 1 – December 6, 2019.
2. Choose the challenge you wish to participate in. Fill out the online registration for the challenge you choose. Are you a go-getter?! Want to complete two or all three challenges? Go for it! The registration fee of $5.00 includes the main GSWPA Project Accessory patch plus one of the design challenge patches. Additional challenge patches can be purchased for an additional $1.50 each.
3. Patches will be mailed out in January 2020
1. Take to the internet! Pinterest, YouTube, Blogs, and fashion websites cab be great ways to gain ideas and inspiration.
2. Go window shopping! Take a trip to the mail or visit accessor boutiques and locally owned shops.
3. Visit your local library or bookstore. There are TONS of magazines and books available on making and designing accessories that can help lead way.
4. Talk to a professional! Meet with a teacher, local artist, STEM professional, or someone who makes or sells accessory. Ask them how they create their designs, tips and tricks they could share, how they learned to make accessories, and any advice they can give to help you complete the challenge.
5. Depending on the challenge(s) you decide to complete, gather the necessary materials to complete your design(s). For basic materials supplies check out Michael’s, Jo-Ann Fabrics, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Walmart or your local craft store. For challenge elements think outside the box – for example, visit a hardware store, dollar store, Goodwill, Salvation Army store, or flea markets.
Missed last years challenges?! The 2018 challenges are still available to complete. If you choose to complete 2018 and 2019 challenges, there should be a separate design for each challenge.
2018 Design Challenges include:
STEM (2018): This challenge is an opportunity for you to explore how STEM can be coupled with fashion accessories. All designs in this category must include recognizable elements of STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math). This can include LED lighting, moveable part(s) or pieces that appear to defy gravity, switches, electricity, circuits, or the like.
Recycled (2018): This challenge combines fashion accessories with design materials that are recycled, reused, and/or repurposed. The recycled element can be achieved by grabbing and old or broken piece of jewelry and redesigning it, using recycled materials as a base of the design, taking something apart like a belt and use the pieces, or include elements from materials that were recycled before. The possibilities are endless...become both a steward of the earth as well as a fashionista!
Duct Tape: This challenge requires you to think outside of the box. Designs in this category must be made of materials that would not ordinarily be used for your type of design. Ideas for unconventional accessory materials are honestly endless but could include metal, screws, safety pins, toys, buttons, chain, wire…and so much more! If you wouldn’t normally find it in an accessory…its unconventional so go for it!
Meet the 2019 Design Challenges:
STEM: The STEM challenge was the very popular in 2018, so we are bringing in back – with a twist! The STEM challenge is an opportunity for you to explore how STEM can be coupled with fashion accessories. All designs in this category must include AT LEAST TWO recognizable elements of STEM (science, technology, engineering, & math). This can include LED lighting, moveable part(s) or pieces that appear to defy gravity, switches, electricity, circuits, or the like.
Recycled: This challenge combines fashion accessories with design materials that are recycled, reused, and/or repurposed. This year’s recycle challenge isn’t an accessory - but an accessory holder. The recycled element can be achieved by using recycled materials as a base of the design, taking something apart and use the pieces, or include elements from materials that were recycled before. The possibilities are endless...become both a steward of the earth as well as a fashionista!
Duct Tape: This challenge requires you to think outside of the box. Designs in this category should be made mostly of duct tape. Options for the duct tape accessory category will set your creative side free!
For EACH design challenge complete the following steps:
Step 1: DISCOVER
The design process can be fun and can allow you to let your creativity run wild!
1. Ask yourself what type of accessory you want to make…a bracelet, a necklace, earrings, something else?
2. Grab a pencil and start to write down or sketch out some initial accessory ideas. What will it look like? When and where would it be worn? What will it be made of?
2. Hit the library or take to the internet and research ideas for the design challenge you have chosen. Watch videos, read blogs, and take notes from accessory making guides as you plan out how to bring your design idea to life!
Step 2: CONNECT
1. With an adult’s assistance, contact local artists and designers asking them about their design methods and techniques. Keep in mind, the professional you choose to contact may not be a traditional artesian…if you are designing a STEM-based design, for example, you may want to talk to an engineer, electrician, or welder.
2. Visit a local accessory store or shop and ask the owner how they decide what pieces to sell? Describe your challenge and ask if an accessory like the one you plan to make would be of interest to them.
3. Take all the information you have gathered and received to create a Vision or design board. Cut out and/or draw pictures and diagrams, color and paint the board, and make notations that can help bring your creation alive!
Step 3: TAKE ACTION
1. Start creating! Gather the materials needed and begin to make your accessory. Remember that you may need to tweak your design here and there before you feel it’s finished.
2. Snap some pics and/or make a short video featuring your design!
3. Complete registration online form, indicating which challenge(s) you completed. Challenge deadline is of December 6, 2019.