Outdoor Skills Training
Check the events calendar for upcoming Outdoor Skills Training sessions!
Troop leaders or another troop adult must attend the appropriate Outdoor Skills Training if the troop will participate in overnight and camping activities.
This hands-on outdoor training experience will focus on the 8 Basic Camping skills, girl involvement in the outdoors, GSWPA information related to outdoor experiences, and much more. By successfully completing this training, participants will have full use of all GSWPA properties and equipment. Use of amenities such as archery, canoes, ropes courses, rifles, etc. may require additional training or a certified adult present.
Outdoor Skills Participant Guide
Participants who attend will receive a copy of this manual for future reference and use when working in the outdoors with their girls.
Outdoor Skills Resource Guide
Provides additional activities, resources, recipes, and much more to use when planning and working with your girls in the outdoors. (This guide is not provided at training.)
Individuals who have completed Outdoor 101 and Basic Camp Training will be grandfathered through and will not be required to complete any additional training.
Volunteers are eligible to test-out of the Outdoor Skills Training if they meet one of the following requirements:
- Have completed an Outdoor Skills Training in the last 5 years with another Council/organization; or
- Are currently a camp counselor or acted as a camp counselor within the last 5 years; or
- Have regular outdoor experience - 2 to 3 camping experiences annually.
We highly recommend that volunteers start the Test-Out process at least 4-6 weeks in advance of any planned camping trip. Volunteers interested in completing a Test-Out must:
- Complete the online test-out form, which verifies your eligibility and reviews your outdoor knowledge and experience.
- Attend and successfully complete an on-site skills check, which is scheduled individually based on need, availability of space, and season (usually held early spring through late fall) and is typically 1 – 1½ hours in length.
If you have any questions about your eligibility or scheduling an on-site skills check, please contact Kayla Bowyer at 800-248-3335 or at email@example.com.