For the safety of our girls, all individuals volunteering with Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania are required to complete several background checks, including Pennsylvania clearances under Act 153.
- If you received the required clearances for another organization within the last 60 months, they are valid and we can accept a copy of your results along with your online affidavit and National Criminal Background Check (see step 1 below). Send them to the address or email indicated below.
- To complete the required background checks you will need:
- your Social Security number,
- all your previous addresses, and
- the name and current age of anyone you currently live with or have lived with previously.
Once you complete your Volunteer Application, the following clearances/checks must be completed:
1. Complete your National Criminal Background Check by logging on to our secure volunteer portal (free):
- Your code is the word "portal."
- All red fields are required. If you have any additional addresses, please click "add address." Click 'Next' to review the Terms & Conditions for running your background check.
- Sign the application by typing your name and click 'Done,' click 'Submit' then complete the questions. It will ask for the same information a second time. The first time is stating that all information is correct, and the second is for permission to perform the background check. Click “Submit” and you will receive a message stating the form is completed. Results will be sent directly to GSWPA.
2. Complete your Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (free)
3. Complete your Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (free)
4. Complete and sign the PA State Clearance Affidavit (free)
5. If you've lived outside PA anytime in the past 10 years, you'll also need to complete an FBI Criminal Background Check. Please read the below instructions and if you are unsure or have any questions, contact us directly at 800-248-3355 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pre-enroll for your appointment online using service code: 1KG6ZJ for the Department of Human Services and select “GO”.
- Next, select “Schedule or Manage Appointment” to complete the registration steps.
- Payment of $23.25 (reduced rate for volunteers only) is due at the site of your appointment.
- If your results have “No Record” they can be accessed through a link received via email when the results are complete. You will need to enter the security question and answer you set up upon registration. If you lock yourself out of the security question after three attempts, your results will be sent by U.S. mail. You MUST download and save it the first time you open it. There will be no second access to this electronic result.
- If any result has a record associated with it, you will receive the results by U.S. mail.
Note: Girl Scouts will accept the “unofficial copy” of your results.
6. Send copies of completed PA Child Abuse History and Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check (as well as FBI Criminal Background Check if applicable) to:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Girl Scouts Western Pennsylvania, Attn: Volunteer Screening, 5681 Route 6N, Edinboro PA 16412
- Fax: 814-734-7701 Attn: Volunteer Screening
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-248-3355 with any questions.