side menu icon
Camper Information

Parent Central / FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Q: When is the deadline to register for camp?
A: Camp session registrations close about three weeks prior to the session start date or when sessions are filled.

Q: What different camping options does GSWPA offer?
A: We offer several different options, whether you want to camp overnight or just for the day as an individual, with a troop, or as a family. Find out more about the different kinds of camping.

Q: Who can go to camp?
A: Girl Scouts is for every girl ... and you don't even need to join a troop. Simply become an Individually Registered Girl Scout—Indie Girl—and enjoy all of the activities, programs and projects that make Girl Scouts so much fun—including camp!

Q. Is financial assistance offered for camp?
A: Girls can earn funds to help pay for camp by participating in our Cookie and MagNut programs, and financial assistance is available to cover one council-sponsored camp per membership year. To request financial assistance, complete the Financial Assistance Form.

Q. What are the sleeping arrangements at camp?
A: Each camp is different, but the arrangements widely available are:

  • Platform tents: mattresses on the floor or cots
  • Yurts (semi-permanent tent structures): mattresses on the floor or cots
  • Lodges: include basic necessities
  • Sleeping cabins (enclosed cabin with screened doors and windows): bunk beds

Q: What are the check-in/check-out times?
A: Resident Camp sessions at camps Conshatawba, Hawthorne Ridge and Skymeadow: Check-in is 3-4 p.m.; check-out is 2 p.m.
Family Camps and Troop Camp: Check-in is 7 p.m.; check-out is 11 a.m.

If you need to arrive late or leave early, please contact us.

Q. What’s a typical day like at camp?
A: In addition to tons of activities for program at camp, all Girl Scout sessions offer these common elements:

  • Just like fingerprints and snowflakes, no two Girl Scout camps are exactly alike. Each camp offers its own adventures for girls— from ropes courses to canoeing, swimming to zip lining. No matter which camp girls choose, Girl Scout traditions like s’mores, songs and campfires are always in store.
  • Girl Scout traditions like flag ceremonies mark the beginning and end of each day.
  • Three well-balanced meals are served in the dining hall. Cookouts are also part of the fun. All campers have an evening snack, and milk is available at all meals.
  • Campers participate in kapers (camp chores) in her own living area and in shared areas. Girls care for equipment and facilities while at camp.
  • Safety and fun are super important! So, activities may vary or be cancelled due to weather conditions, campers’ needs and interests, and/or health and safety precautions.

Q: Who are the camp staff?
A: Camps have specialists—like a cook, healthcare manager and activity specialist staff for the horse and adventure programs. These staff members are carefully selected for their skills, as well as how they work with children and adults. Staff members who supervise high-adventure activities such as the pool, water sports, challenge course, archery and other areas receive additional training and qualifications.

Resident camp unit leaders and counselors are enthusiastic, talented, and caring individuals, who are 18 years of age or older. We recruit both regionally and from around the world, and carefully select staff from colleges and universities, Girl Scout referrals, and international cultural exchange organizations. Campers’ health and safety are our top priorities. We select staff based on their maturity, program skills, experience, and their ability to serve as role models. All staff must attend an intensive pre-camp training program, including safety, activity planning, camper care, teambuilding, and much more. 

Q: What training is required of adult volunteers before taking girls to camp?
A: Volunteers heading to camp with girls for troop or C.A.P. camping are required to complete Outdoor Skills Training and CPR/First Aid Training. See the Adult Training page for more information. Adults accompanying girls to CORE or Family camps aren’t required to have these trainings.

Q. How do I know my camper is safe and in good hands?
A: All camps meet established standards for health and safety, site maintenance, program and personnel, which are set by state and local governments and Girl Scouts of the USA. In addition, all camps have a qualified Health Supervisor on site. Each camp has a health center, stocked with first aid equipment and treatments. Camp staff are safety trained, and each living unit and program area has a stocked first aid kit. A Health Care Manager is on-site each day and oversees the routine health care and administration of medications for all campers and staff. A doctor is on-call if illness or injury requires additional medical attention. Parents would be notified in the event of an emergency.

  • Resident Camp – Camp Health History Forms are required for all campers and participants at Conshatawba, Hawthorne Ridge and Skymeadow. The Health History Form will be emailed/mailed to you in your Confirmation Packet. You must bring this form to camp with you when you check in your camper.
  • Trip Sessions – Backpacker and Mystery Trip (Conshatawba), Water Slides and Theme Park Rides (Hawthorne Ridge) and Thrill Seekers (Skymeadow) require a physical exam completed within 12 months of the camper’s stay at camp. Physical exam forms must be signed by a licensed physician. Please don’t forget this vital requirement!
  • Family Camp and Troop Core Camp – Each adult and child participant is required to have a Camp Health History Form. A paper form is brought for all participants on the first day of the session.

Q: Can I call or visit camp?
A: For safety reasons, access to camp properties is limited when camp is in session. Campers LOVE mail from home, so we deliver your notes and letters daily to campers. Parents can leave mail at check-in for us to deliver during the session. Please include the following information in all mail you send: session name, session date and camper’s name. If you have an emergency or change in plans, please call the camp director. Camp phone numbers are provided with your confirmation materials, and camp directors will contact the parents in case of an emergency or illness. Please note: Camp phones are limited to camp business only.

Q: What are the meals like at camp?

A: Our food service staff at resident camp prepare a variety of pleasing and nutritious meals appropriate for children. Camp food isn’t what it used to be! Our camps serve plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, eggs and breads. Salad and sidebars are available and snacks are provided in the afternoons. 

Special dietary needs: We do offer a vegetarian alternative at each meal. During breakfast, a cereal bar is available in addition to the main meal. During lunch and dinner we offer a vegetarian option that will complement the meal. A fresh salad or salad bar is offered at most meals. If you or your camper has allergies, dietary needs or requirements based on religious or philosophical beliefs, please contact us at least one week before your arrival so that we can help plan the best meal options for you.

Q: Is there a camp trading post?
A: There is a camp trading post at each resident camp (Conshatawba, Hawthorne Ridge and Skymeadow). The trading post will be open during check-in and check-out. In addition, girls will be able to visit the trading post during their camp session. We suggest that you put money on your campers trading post account at check-in to ensure that it is not lost during her stay. Money that is not spent during the week will be returned to the parent at check-out. Trading post items vary in price from a couple of dollars for a patch to about $35 for a hooded sweatshirt.


Program Disclaimer
We reserve the right to cancel any program or program activity when weather conditions are unsuitable– including extreme heat, thunderstorms, etc. Refunds are not given when activities are cancelled as a result of “Acts of God.”